Wednesday 28 December 2011

R.I.P Dáithí Ó hÓgáin

Dé Céadaoin 28 de Mhí naNollag

I've been meaning to find the time to get around to make an article in dedication to the late Dáithí Ó hÓgáin who I unfortunately heard passed away the other week when listening to the news on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta.

One of my favourite authors in regards to Irish scholarship which includes pre-Christian myths, legends, and religion. Dáithí was a professor of Irish Folklore at University College Dublin, and was awarded the Irish Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann award Ard Ollaibh for lifelong service towards Irish traditions. I unfortunately never got the chance to meet the man, but always held him in high regard knowing that he had given talks during the Save Tara campaigns, as well as the Cruachan Aí Heritage Centre in Roscommon. All of which play an important role in the history&preservation of pagan traditions here.

I was saddened by this news, and he will be greatly missed.

-Suaimhneas Síoraí Dó

No comments:

Post a Comment